Flagship FAQ: How Can I Help Save the SS United States?
The global movement to save the SS United States needs all hands on deck!
Even one individual can make an extraordinary difference, and the Conservancy is continually inspired by the energy and initiative of the Big U's incredible supporters. Today, learn how you can get involved.
The Conservancy needs your help to spread the word about the SS United States as we raise crucial funds to keep her safe at her Philadelphia pier, work to solidify a redevelopment deal and lay the groundwork for our future shipboard museum, the SS United States Center for Design and Discovery.
While they may have heard of her record-breaking service career, many people don’t realize that the SS United States still exists, or understand why she’s so important. They don’t know where she’s docked, or that she is need of our help. Together, we need to mobilize communities everywhere so that people throughout the nation know that America’s Flagship is in danger of being lost forever!
Here are some ideas for how you can help:
• Make a donation today to become a member of the Conservancy. Join our efforts by investing in our mission to save the SS United States and preserve her legacy for generations to come
• Join one of the Conservancy's incredible regional chapters working to recruit members, fund-raise, and increase local awareness of the SS United States.
• See if your employer has a matching gifts program. Some companies will match up to 100% of your contribution! This is a great way for you or your loved ones to double or even triple the impact of an already very meaningful gift.
• Become a Corporate Sponsor or Partner, and receive valuable benefits including naming rights, advertising, exclusive ship tours, and networking events.
• Spread the word among your circle of friends, family and colleagues. ‘Like’ us on Facebook and ‘Follow’ us on Twitter. ‘Share’ our posts with your online community.
• Distribute brochures, or make presentations at locations throughout your community. Possible locations include libraries, museums, coffee shops, yacht clubs and festivals. Email the Conservancy at email@example.com to request resources.
• Organize a video screening of the fantastic films Lady in Waiting and Made In America at a local library, club, church, senior center, school or venue.
• Reach out to your local media. Many regional and community newspapers, both print and online, are interested in the ship and our efforts to save her. Add an element of local interest by sharing your connection to the ship and interest in saving her.
• Reach out to celebrities and other high visibility people. Write a letter, make a phone call, tweet, or reach out through other social media. New York and Pennsylvania residents: Reach out to your elected officials!
• Network with local museums and maritime organizations. Ask them if they would consider hosting a temporary exhibition and/or a presentation about the ship.
• Get kids involved. Reach out to your children’s or grandchildren’s schools, Scouts troops or after-school activity groups. Make a presentation to a class, all-school assembly or scout troop meeting. Construct the ship out of Lego or other building materials and send us a photograph!
These are just a few ideas. Think about your community, connections and interests to determine how best you can help, and then let us know so that we can promote your efforts through our website, e-newsletter and social media platforms!
Feeling inspired? You can find more ideas for how you can help save America's Flagship on our website along with further resources. The SS United States remains a soaring example of our ability to join arm-in-arm to advance common goals. It took many hands to build her, and it will take all of us, working together, to save her.